3/4 cup mirin
2 cups white miso paste
1 cup granulated sugar
4 salmon/halibut fillets, about 200g each
2. Reduce heat to low and add miso paste, mixing with a wooden spoon until it has dissolved. Then increase heat to high and add sugar, stirring constantly to ensure bottom of pan does not burn until sugar has dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Keep 1/2 a cup of sauce for serving with the cooked fish the next day, and use the rest as marinade.
3. Pat fish thoroughly dry with paper towels. Cover with marinade and place in a glass dish or bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Marinade overnight.
4. Preheat grill to high and preheat oven to 200c
5. Lightly wipe off and excess miso clinging to fillets, but do not rinse it off Discard marinade. Place fish on grill plate, and grill until surface of fish turns brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Place in oven at 190 c.
7. Move fish to center of oven and bake 10 to 15 minutes depending on thickness
8. Transfer fillets to individual plates. Add a few drops of reserved sauce to each plate.
400 grams medium asparagus spears
1 tablespoon sesame oil
4 teaspoons light (regular) soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds ( toast on a baking tray)
1. Snap off the woody ends of each asparagus spear. Add the asparagus to boiling, salted water and cook for 1 to 2 minutes depending on thickness.