Cooking deelitefully

Welcome to  the deelitefull blog.  I am a cooking and nutrition coach based in Dublin, Ireland.   Food should both taste great and make you feel great. My experience of some healthy eating guides & books is that they can be a little worthy, bland and humourless. Eating should always be a pleasure both to the senses and to the soul. There is nothing worse than eating a meal and feeling like you need a crane to hoist you out of your chair but on the other hand there is nothing more dreary than a meal that is assessed purely on the reduced calories and fat grams it contains. So on this blog you can follow my search for delicious healthy recipes with soul.  

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fairy cakes for Lily



 I am a little bit off the healthy eating track for this blog posting but sometimes sugary, glittery, swirly icing is yer only man.  One of my favourite chilled out babies got christened last weekend so I had to make her some extra special fairy cakes.  Personally  I like my cakes pretty plain or choclately but for a christening some sparkles,  swirly icing and rose water was called for.  I have a tendency to find some new ingredient, over use them and then get sick of them.  However given a sufficient body of time,  I usually return to the ingredient with a more measured approach.  Such is the case for rose water in my repertoire,  which I over indulged with a couple of years ago,  but now is returning to favour.

I used my regular fairy cake recipe.  But feel free to use whatever works for you.  I include ground almonds in mine as it I like the flavour and they keep moist for longer.   It was really all about the icing.  I found an icing recipe on this lovely Australian blog after much searching for one that inspired.  

I adapted it slightly by adding a few drops of pink food colouring paste, a teaspoon extra of rosewater and I also added chopped pistachios to some of the cupcakes.   I love the contrasting colours of the pink and green.  I also only needed half the amount for 24 cupcakes but I think its because I used a different piping nozzle. 


 I made little minis for the kids -  though I did spy a lot of adults eating them too ;-) 



1 comment:

  1. BTW - I can arrange Fairy-cake/cupcake/bun making and decorating classes for groups if you are intrested. Check out my website www.deelitefull.ie for info on classes.

    ReplyDelete